The air rescue of a victim who fell 100 feet down seaside cliffs in Pacifica was abandoned Friday night after authorities say a local man flew his drone into the area to watch what was happening, forcing a helicopter crew to withdraw.
The rescue played out about 10:15 p.m. on the rocky shoreline below 320 Esplanade Ave., Pacifica police said.
First responders determined the person could not make it up the cliff by foot and called in the California Highway Patrol to help, authorities said. The CHP helicopter crew lowered a medic to the victim and prepared him to be hoisted up when other rescuers spotted the drone.
“Once the helicopter crew found out there was a drone on scene, they had to suspend the rescue operation and gain altitude to avoid a collision,” police said in a statement. “The drone’s operation could cause the helicopter to crash.”
Instead of hoisting the victim by air, paramedics and firefighters with North County Fire Authorities rappelled down the cliff, put the victim in a basket and brought him up with ropes. The operation took about two hours, officials said.
In the meantime, police went looking for the drone’s operator.
Residents in the area mentioned knowing a neighbor who flew a drone, so officers knocked on the door of 55-year-old Gerald Destremps.
Destremps admitted to flying the drone and allowed officers to confiscate it, Pacifica Police Capt. Joseph Spanheimer said.
He was cited with a misdemeanor charge of impeding first responders at the scene of an emergency.
Regulations dictate how high drones can fly, how close they can operate near airports and their use during emergency operations.
- Crop Science
- Drone Guns
- Ground Control Points
- Public Concern
- State PArks
- Terrain Mapping
- Volume Measurement
- Wine Country
- Nov 2018
- Jun 2018
- Mar 2018
- Jan 2018
- Oct 2017
- Aug 2017
- Jul 2017
- Jun 2017
- May 2017
- Mar 2017
- Feb 2017
- First Passenger Drone Set to launch in July
- A drone software firm has hired two execs from Salesforce and NetSuite
- Drones For Farmers Makes Midwest Startup A Flying Success
- 5 things I learned taking photos with the DJI Phantom 4 Pro
- Drone Captures Wildfire Devastation in Chile
- Caterpillar invests in Airware bringing drone tech to mining and construction enterprises
- FAA: Keep your drone far, far away from the Super Bowl
- Jan 2017
- Man slapped with misdemeanor citation for flying drone near cliffside rescue in Pacifica
- Ningaloo Reef captured from sky in drone-driven health check
- Antonio's One Shot Review, Phontom 4
- What can NDVI drones do for my business? Part 1
- Falcons, drones, data: A winery battles climate change
- senseFly to Host Free ‘Ag Drone Insights’ Webinar
- Modern warfare: Death-dealing drones and ... illegal parking?
- Using a drone during the inauguration could get you fined $1,414
- North Royalton considering banning drones from public areas
- US regulators hammer down on unauthorized drone use
- In Davos, the Police Will Disarm Your Drone in a Heartbeat
- Drone's operator detained for flying near Chinese airplane
- Illegal Drone FPV Transmitters Could Interfere with Air Traffic Control
- Fields of Gold
- Drone delivers medical response